Saturday, February 9, 2013

Oh, What a Night!

So my family has made it this far without any illness!  It was bound to happen eventually, though, right?  Luke threw up in his crib last night around 10.  He had a fever and was crying, but he didn't seem too, too hot.  So I cleaned him up and snuggled with him until about midnight, and put him back in his crib.  Eric offered to sleep on the couch, so I could take Luke in our bed, but I didn't think it was necessary. 

I should have taken him up on it.

A little bit after 1am he started crying again.  He was freaking out in his crib, standing at one end and looking at his pillow and saying "No, no, no!"  All I could see were some tear drops, but he seemed really scared!  I picked him up and sat with him on the floor, while he cried the whole time.  I'm surprised Matthew didn't wake up, but that kid slept through it all...  Meanwhile Lucas is telling me to look at *some*thing on his floor, saying "I can't kill it!  I can't kill it!"  He must have been seeing bugs or something.  Plus he was looking out of or maybe just at his window strangely.  I admit it was a little surreal, with all the orangey streetlights reflecting off of the snow.  I also admit that every scary movie I've seen with a creepy little kid who sees demons ran through my head.  Lucas, still crying, begged me to take him out of his room.  So I resigned myself to a night on the couch.

I tried to give him some chewable Tylenol but he just threw up 10 minutes later.  I tried to take his temperature, but he was crying the whole time and couldn't keep his mouth closed.  He's usually really good about it, considering he's not even 3 yet, but not last night.  I even tried to stick it under his armpit, but he was freaking out so much about it, I gave up.  I capped the thermometer and he whispered, "Thank you, Mommy."

It probably took until 3 for him to settled down and go to sleep, finally.  And my alarm went off at 6 because I'm supposed to work this morning at 8.  Luke's fever seemed lower, so I got up, got dressed, and headed out to catch the bus.  I should have checked their website first... After waiting for the bus 10 minutes after it was supposed to be there, I called them.  Service was suspended last night, and will be resuming this morning at 8.  I could have used that extra sleep! 

So here I am back at home... I actually will have to get my stuff together again in a few minutes.  Lucas still feels nauseous, but he hasn't actually thrown up yet.  I'm going to try to take his temperature again, now that he's calmer. 

Oh boy, I'm beat!  I'm going to finish this coffee and pray for a quick work day.