Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day.. Oh, and Call Poison Control

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!  I hope you all got something sweet!

Eric had flowers and chocolate covered berries delivered to me, I love them!  BUTTT while I was cutting the flowers, Lucas snatched a stem and started chewing on it.  He probably thought it looked like celery.  I didn't think much of it, but he started whining and scratching at his hands and mouth.  Uh oh, here we go again!

As it turns out, Calla Lilies are very poisonous.  They can cause:
  • burning in mouth and throat
  • swelling of mouth and tongue (possibly enough to block airways)
  • redness, swelling, and pain in eyes
  • diarrhea
  • nausea
  • vomiting
 So I called Poison Control ONCE AGAIN for this problem child of mine! (1-800-222-1222 I should have this number ingrained in my brain by now, but I had to look it up.  MEMORIZE THIS NUMBER!)  The guy didn't even know what Calla Lilies were, he had to go look them up.  Once he found out WHY they were poisonous, he told me that the amount that was ingested (really just tasted) didn't cause him much concern, and to just flush it out with cold water or milk.  Honestly, by the time he got back on the line with me, Luke had already stopped whining and was sitting on the couch with his blanket and his thumb.  Hopefully he won't be chewing my flowers anymore!

I'm grateful that Luke only got a taste, and also that we didn't spend the night in an ER.  Remember that?

\All is well, though!  Now I just have to figure out how to word this to Eric so he won't feel guilty!

1 comment:

  1. You're smart to have called the Poison Help line. You'd be surprised how often things like this happen. Kids get into everything! Thanks for sharing your story. If you're interested in sharing it on the American Association of Poison Control blog, tweet us at @AAPCC.


If you leave me a comment, I'll be your best friend. <3