Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Daddy's Going Back to School

So, Eric has been talking about going back to school for some time now.  Years, actually.  We both have.  About a year ago he was thinking about going for accounting and I was very pleased with the idea.  Accounting is something he could do easily; he's great with numbers.  Too bad he changed his mind.

In the spring he filled out the FAFSA to see what kind of aid he'd be eligible for.  As it turns out, with our situation, he can pretty much go to school part time for free.  So he enrolled at Lehigh Carbon Community College.  He took his placement tests in late spring to see what prerequisites he'd need.  Not for accounting, oh, no.  For biotechnology.

Are you friggin' kidding me?  One thing about my husband: he's got BIG dreams.  Sometimes I feel that his dreams are too big.  Yes, when we met in college he was majoring in biology.  Let's be realistic here, though.  He only spent ONE semester in college.  And he's 29.  And it would take foreeeeeeeeever to finish his schooling on a part time basis, what with only being able to take 3 classes per semester, and then graduate school after that.  No.  I just couldn't see that working in our family's favor.

He went and enrolled anyway, assuring me that he'd be able to get a relevant job in the field, twirling test tubes for some cancer-curing genius calling all the shots, in just a couple of years.

How could I say no to this when I've said no to so many other things?  I tried.  I backed off when I started searching for the kinds of jobs you could get with a biotechnology major.  Maybe he could get a job twirling test tubes.

Recently he's been scheming ways to make money.  Not scheming, really, but, you know.  The latest involves buying about a gross of Christmas ornaments, opening a kiosk in the mall, and selling them to people with their names on them.  Who'd be glitter gluing "The Jones'" on gold balls for the public at this kiosk while he works 65+ hours a week during his work's holiday rush?

Yeah.  You know who.

I don't consider myself a negative person (but maybe I am).  I'm just realistic.  Lots of people decorate their own Christmas ornaments at home.  The rent for a kiosk during the holidays even in our lame mall would be way too exorbitant.  And with what money are we buying the supplies?

One thing that came of this recent scheme?  He's decided to switch his major from biotechnology to business management.  Thank.  God.  It's too late to switch classes, so he will be taking a biology class this semester.  I hope he doesn't enjoy it too much and change his mind back.

His books arrived today.  I'm excited for him, and excited that this is a step forward for our entire family.  In just a couple of weeks, I'll have two of my boys in school!


3 comments:

  1. Wow! Good luck to your hubby and family with school and hopefully one of the business ventures will pay off :)

    Link up with me: JustSmiles82.blogspot.com and SimpleFaith82.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck and I hope it all works out. If you're not already doing so, try renting your books-its so much cheaper. I used www.cheggs.com- I think that's the name

    Irene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...I'm from the biology field, and I'm glad he changed his field! :D

    ReplyDelete

If you leave me a comment, I'll be your best friend. <3