Sunday, February 6, 2011

Do Not Induce Vomiting

We had a scary moment in our house the other day: I had to call a Poison Control Center for the first time. My 10 month old son likes to bang on the open dishwasher door while I'm unloading it. Well, the other day our dishwasher pack didn't completely dissolve. This had never happened before. So I'm putting the dishes away and I see Luke's fingers in his mouth. Now, my first son never put anything in his mouth but food. NEVER. This one, though, puts EVERYTHING in his mouth. Cat food is a favorite, but that's another can of worms. Anyway, I see his fingers in his mouth and I'm thinking "What is it this time?"
I see the little white crumbs and look at the dishwasher compartment. Matching little white crumbs. He's making a yucky face but he seems to be fine so I wipe the soap out of his mouth and off of his hands. I pick him up to put him in the living room and he vomits. And then again. and again. It seemed like so much, all over him, me, and the kitchen floor. Amidst the formula and chicken and stars? A huge chunk of dishwasher pack.
Now I'm really worried. My husband grabs the dishwasher packs to see what it says if swallowed. Drink water. Do not induce vomiting. Call a Poison Control Center immediately. As I'm trying to remember the number to Poison Control I make up a bottle of water. What is that number? I know it has a lot of twos but I can't remember where. Lucas wants nothing to do with this water. Isn't it on the fridge? No. He seems perfectly fine but I don't know what's going on in his belly.
I find the number in the phone book. 1-800-222-1222. A lot of twos indeed. I call and get an answer on the second ring. I'm greeted by a deep male voice. I quickly (but calmly) explain what happened. He asks me a few questions about the specific product and the active ingredients, plus my and Lucas' names and how he seems to be. There's a pause while he looks some stuff up, I guess. Then he assures me that the chemicals, while irritating to the mouth and throat, aren't dangerous. He said the vomiting was more likely caused by a piece stuck in his throat. He says to just try to get some fluids in him and he'll call back in an hour.
Much reassures I make Lucas a bottle he'll drink instead of water and he does just fine. In fact, he's pretty hungry! I get a follow up call. I say we are fine and thank you very much.
Moral of the story? Know your important numbers! That wasn't the scariest parenting moment I've ever had, but as I was flipping stuff around looking for the number, it came pretty close.
Poison Control: 1-800-222-1222
Put it on the fridge! Keep it close!