Saturday, February 12, 2011

Bathroom Locks part 2

I noticed for the first time that the bottom half of our bathroom wall is tiled. I shouldn't say it's the first time I noticed, rather it was the first time it dawned on me why that was such a good thing. That episode in the restaurant wasn't the only time I'd ever locked myself in a bathroom.
I couldn't tell you how old I was, probably 3 or 4, when my cousin A and I locked ourselves in my bathroom. With a box of crayons. It was probably my A's idea. She was always getting me into trouble when we were little, but her memory conveniently doesn't stretch that far back. I can't say I remember exactly what we did or how long we were in there. I do know we colored all over the walls though. And that we wouldn't unlock the door. Sound familiar?
My mom, younger then than I am now, couldn't
unlock the door from the outside. She ended up having to disassemble the entire doorknob! And that was before she got to see what we were up to. This was before Magic Erasers were invented so you know it was a pain getting all that crayon off the walls.
So I realized how thankful I am that the bottom four feet of our bathroom wall is tiled And also that doors now feature mechanisms that let you easily unlock them with a bent paper clip.